Important Notice

alert iconBCTC offices will be closed in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday, November 26-29. The college will reopen on Monday, November 30.
[More Info]

KCTCS College Reaches $2.5M Goal For BuildSmart Project

Aug 29, 2014 - | 03:44 PM -

West Kentucky Community and Technical College (WKCTC), one of the 16 colleges of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS), is the first in the state to reach its $2.5 million campus BuildSmart goal for the Paducah School of Art and Design (PSAD). A $400,000 donation from the Carson-Myre Charitable Foundation helped WKCTC reach their goal.

“Building is what this investment is all about… building people’s skills, building communities and building Kentucky’s economy,” said KCTCS President Michael B. McCall. “KCTCS’ mission is and always has been to enhance the employability and quality of life of Kentuckians. BuildSmart is the next step in continuing to fulfill that mission.”

PSAD is just one of 16 BuildSmart projects slated for KCTCS colleges across the state. The BuildSmart Investment for Kentucky Competiveness is about building a skilled, educated workforce to ensure our state thrives in both today’s and tomorrow’s economy. It is a public-private partnership to provide funding for the top capital project at each KCTCS college.
Agency bonds will be issued to pay for 75 percent of the total project scope (i.e., $145.5 million in agency bonds). The remaining 25 percent ($48.5 million) will be matched from private and other funds raised by the KCTCS colleges.

WKCTC began a fundraising campaign last year for the completion of the PSAD. The new facility will occupy the old Kitchens, Inc. Building in Lowertown, and will provide more than 29,000 square feet of space for two-dimensional design, painting, drawing, graphic design, and digital photography, at a total cost of $10 million.

“This project has been, from the start, about creating and maintaining Paducah as a unique city known for the arts,” said WKCTC President Barbara Veazey.

PSAD enrollment has grown from 160 students in spring 2008 to more than 425 students by the fall 2014. Renovations to the Kitchens facility are slated to begin in October and the work completed by January 2016.

To learn more about BuildSmart, or how you can make a donation, visit