ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Admissions FAQs | Bluegrass Community & Technical College

Important Notice

alert iconAll BCTC campuses and sites will close at 12:00 p.m. on Friday, April 18 (institutional closing).
[More Info]
Photo of Tour

Admissions FAQs

What programs are offered at BCTC?

We have a wide variety of certificate, diploma and Associate degree programs available. Some of our more popular programs are Transfer (Pre-Baccalaureate), Nursing (RN), Business Management and Marketing, Information Management and Design, Radiography, and Practical Nursing. A list of all of our programs can be found by visiting the Academic and Technical Programs website.

How do I get accepted at BCTC?

It’s easy! Just follow the six step enrollment process.

Step 1: Apply for Admission
You can complete an application in the Admissions Office or you can apply online 24 hours a day.

Step 2: Transcript
Send official transcripts from your high school or any college you have attended to the Admissions Office.

Step 3: Attend Orientation
Once you’ve applied for admission, you will receive an acceptance letter from us that will ask you to call and schedule an orientation date. Orientation is required for all new freshmen and it will answer many of your questions about BCTC.

Step 4: Meet with an Advisor/placement testing
After orientation, you will have the opportunity to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. Your advisor will guide you through the process for choosing your classes and registering. During your advising session, you may also take the COMPASS which is a computerized placement exam. You can contact the Advising and Assessment Office for more information.

Step 5: Pay
At this point, you need to pay your tuition and fees. You can do this through the mail, in person or online at the Business Office website.

Step 6: Attend Class
It’s now time to start your future at Bluegrass Community and Technical College! 

How can I sign up for a campus visit?

Campus specific contacts are listed as follows:

  • Cooper Campus (Located in Lexington on Cooper Drive): 
    Jill Page (859) 246-6252
  • Danville Campus (Located in Boyle County):
    Allison Baker (859) 246-6892
  • Georgetown Campus (Located in Scott County):
    Carol Crawford (502) 570-6357
  • Lawrenceburg Campus (Located in Anderson County):
    Ann Denton (859) 246-6348
  • Leestown Campus (Located in Lexington off of Leestown Road): 
    Jill Page (859) 246-6252
  • Winchester Campus (Located in Clark County):
    Aaron Akey (859) 246-6833

What does tuition cost at BCTC and are there any additional fees?

Tuition is assessed per credit hour. Please review tuition cost here.

If you are a Cooper, Regency or Winchester campus student, you will have the option to purchase UK student services, including housing, student health insurance and sporting events tickets. You can find more information about this option at the UK E-Store.

What activities at UK can I participate in?

Students taking classes at Cooper, Regency and Winchester campuses can elect to participate in UK activities. These activities include paying the Athletics Fee, Recreation Fee, Student Activities Board Fee, Student Government Association Fee, Student Center Fee, Student Health Fee and Student Services Fee. For more information, please go to the UK eStore or contact UK Dining and Plus Account Office at (859)257-6159 for additional information.

**If you elect to live in University of Kentucky Housing, you will be required to purchase all of the University of Kentucky student fees.

What about financial aid and scholarship opportunities?

Financial aid and scholarship information is available on our Financial Aid website. Here you will find a link for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as well as a scholarship application.

How do I redeem my KEES money?

Financial Aid will notify KHEAA after the last day to register for classes. KHEAA will send money to BCTC. Money will be credited to your account in the Business Office. For questions contact, your High School Counselor or KHEAA at 1 (800) 928-8926.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

An associate degree program traditionally takes a full time student two years to complete. Our associate degree programs include transfer degrees and technical/professional degrees, many of which can also transfer to four-year degree programs. A diploma program is designed to prepare students for employment in a specific technical field in one to two years. A certificate can be earned in as little as one semester, depending on the program. Certificates are primarily offered in technical programs. You can find out more information by visiting our Academic and Technical program listings online.

Will my classes at BCTC transfer to other schools?

BCTC provides course work that is transferable to the University of Kentucky and other four-year institutions. The pre-baccalaureate program is generally equivalent to the first two years of the curriculum leading to the Bachelor’s degree. You can find more information about transferring to a four-year college by visiting our Transfer Center. You can contact the Transfer Center at (859) 246-4620.

How do I get an official copy of my BCTC transcript?

You will need to contact the Records Office to request an official BCTC transcript. You can reach them by phone at 1 (866) 774-4872, Ext. 56490. The Records Office is located in 203 Oswald Building, Cooper Campus or the One-Stop, Building C, Leestown Campus.

How do I know what room or building my class is in?

You will want to check your class schedule by logging into the People Soft system using your student ID. Buildings and room numbers are listed next to the courses you are taking.

How big are my classes?

Our average class size is 22 students. Many classes you will take will have less than the average.

Where do I get the books I'll need for class?

Books can be purchased on the Cooper Campus, the Leestown Campus or online.

Can I take a class over if I get a bad grade?

Yes. You will need to visit the Records Office to complete a Repeat Option form.

What if I don't like a class or have a time conflict? Can I withdraw from the course or will I be penalized?

Every semester, withdrawal dates are posted in the Schedule of Classes as well as the BCTC website. You may withdraw from a class without penalty as long as you do it before these dates.

Are there computer labs where I can complete my homework for class?

Computer labs are available on each of the six campuses.

How do I get involved in student activities at BCTC?

There are numerous activities for students to become involved in. You can contact the Student Activities Office at 1 (866) 774-4872, Ext.56523.

Where can I go for information about disability support?

You can contact Disability Support Services for more information about services and accommodations offered to students.

Where do I park?

Parking is free and well marked at the Danville, Lawrenceburg, Leestown, Regency and Winchester campuses. For the Cooper campus, you will need to purchase a parking pass from the UK Parking Office.  Parking permits are $248 per academic year. Lexington campus students also have the choice to purchase a Lextran bus pass which is $75 per academic year or use the UK CATS buses.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT tests?

ACT or SAT scores are not required for general admission. If you have taken either exam, we encourage you to submit your official scores as they help your academic advisor place you in appropriate courses. For ACT, our BCTC code is 1531. For SAT, our BCTC code is 0645.

What does the COMPASS assessment test cover? What does it do for me?

The COMPASS test is an untimed test used by your academic advisor to place you in the appropriate classes. The COMPASS test is free the first time you take it. If you submit official ACT or SAT scores, you do not need to take the COMPASS test

What if I am not proficient in a certain subject area? Where can I go for help?

Student Support Services is available to all students. These services include free tutoring, as well as study skills help. Counselors are also available to speak with students regarding academic or personal issues.

Can I find a job working on campus? Are internships available to me after I complete my program?

Many Bluegrass students work on campus as student workers. To inquire about student worker openings, contact Financial Aid. Once you complete your program, contact Student Employment Services or Career Services.

How do I contact the school for general information?

For general information about BCTC, you will want to contact our main line at 1 (866) 774-4872. Based on your inquiry, the operator can direct you to the appropriate person on the appropriate campus. Answers to most of the general information questions can be found by searching the BCTC website.

Where can I find information about housing and food services costs?

Housing and food services costs can be found by visiting UK’s housing website and UK’s Dining Services websites.

Important Information for the 2013 - 2014 Academic Year

BCTC Students Guidelines for UK Housing for 2013-2014.

If you are seeking on-campus residence at the University of Kentucky, you must submit an online application at: In order to be considered for UK Housing, you must apply before May 1, 2013.

The University of Kentucky is in the process of substantially expanding the number of modern residence hall rooms on campus. The 2013-2014 academic year will be a time of transition as new halls are under construction. As a result, on-campus housing for fall 2013 will be very limited and BCTC students will have 65 beds in UK Housing. Priority for UK Housing for BCTC students will be given to those who:

  1. have submitted a UK Housing application prior to May 1, 2013;
  2. are enrolled full time at Cooper, Newtown Pike or Winchester*; and
  3. have completed fewer than 30 credit hours and are in a transfer degree** at BCTC or have been accepted to the BCTC Blue+ program.

*In order to be eligible to live in undergraduate housing, a minimum of 9 hours per semester must be on the Lexington campus. Independent study or online classes do not count as on campus.

**Examples of a transfer degree include but are not limited to Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Fine Arts, Psychology, Education, Business Administration, Undecided, or Undecided Transfer, etc.

If you intend to apply for financial aid, please be aware that you will be responsible for any bill (BCTC or UK) that exceeds the amount of aid you receive.

Is there a payment plan option I can use to pay for tuition?

There are several payment plan options available to you. Please contact the Business Office at 1 (877) 774-4872, Ext.56270.

Where can I get information about Financial Aid and scholarships?

Financial aid and scholarship information is available from the Office of Financial Aid. Here you will find a link for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as well as a scholarship application.

Where can I find information about Health Services for my student?

You can find Student Health Services information on the UK Student Health website. This option is available to students taking classes on the Cooper, Regency and Winchester campuses

Can I obtain a copy of my students’ grades?

Due to the Federal Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA), we are unable to share your student’s grades with you. If your student would like to share their grades with you, they can complete the FERPA form in the Records Office in 203 Oswald Building, Cooper Campus or the One-Stop, Building C, Leestown Campus.

Will my student’s courses transfer to a four year institution?

BCTC provides course work that is transferable to the University of Kentucky and other four-year institutions. The pre-baccalaureate program is generally equivalent to the first two years of the curriculum leading to the bachelor’s degree. You can find more information about transferring to a four-year college by visiting our Transfer Center. You can reach them at (859) 246-4620.