ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept FAQ | Bluegrass Community & Technical College
Frequently asked Questions


Can the Transfer Center help me transfer to any four-year college or university?

Yes, the Transfer Center works with all four-year colleges and universities. The majority of students from BCTC transfer to institutions in Kentucky, and therefore, the Transfer Center has more resources from Kentucky institutions. However, the Transfer Center works with any four-year college or university.

Do representatives from four-year institutions visit BCTC?

Yes. To view a complete list of upcoming visits from four-year institutions, click here to view the college & university visits schedule.

Do you need an A.A. or A.S. to transfer?

No. To learn about the various options for transferring blocks of credit from BCTC to a public university in Kentucky go to KnowHow2Go. For KnowHow2Go information, visit

How do I find out what courses/credits will transfer?

BCTC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and all college level courses transfer. The institution that awards your degree will determine how your course work applies toward the degree. The Transfer Center can explain in detail how this process works. For KnowHow2Go information, visit

How do I make an appointment to see a transfer advisor?

You can make an appointment by using any of the following options:
Phone: (859)246-4620
Toll Free: 1-(866)774-4872
In Person: 470 Cooper Drive, Rm. 100B Academic Technical Building

How do I prepare for an appointment?

It is important to think about the questions you have regarding transfer and bring these to the appointment. In addition, it is important to have an idea of the major you would like to pursue at a four-year institution.

How do I transfer courses back to my four-year institution if I am only at BCTC for the summer or one semester?

To transfer course work from BCTC to any college or university, complete a transcript request form in the BCTC Record’s Office. For additional information go to

Is a visit to the Transfer Center a requirement?

No. You are not required to visit the Transfer Center prior to transferring. However, it is encouraged and will help facilitate your transfer to a four-year institution.

What are the advantages to completing the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree prior to transferring?

The A.A. or A.S. degree fulfills the general education requirements for transfer to any four-year public university in the state of Kentucky. This is also referred to as the General Education Transfer Agreement under the Council on Postsecondary Education. For more information visit the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education at

What does it take to transfer?

2.0 cumulative grade point average - Most institutions require a minimum 2.0 GPA. Many academic programs have additional GPA requirements.
A completed application - Students applying for admission are required to complete an application.
An application fee - Many institutions require a small application fee (usually under $50).

What happens during a transfer advising appointment?

A transfer advisor will meet with you to answer your questions and explain the transfer process. The advisor will also provide the appropriate resources and contacts for a seamless transfer from BCTC to your four-year institution.

What transfer activities are available for BCTC students?

The Transfer Center offers a variety of events. For a complete list of upcoming events please visit the events link at

When in my academic career do I need to make an appointment?

It is never too early to plan for your future. To ensure a seamless transfer, make an appointment to see a transfer advisor early in your academic career.

Where can I find information on four-year colleges and universities?

The Transfer Center has a library of information from all the four-year colleges and universities in Kentucky and many out-of-state institutions. You can also visit the web sites listed below for online information.