Selective Admission: Practical Nursing (to become an LPN)
The process for applying is a Complete Application Packet format. Students must submit all documents below in one envelope to be considered for the program. Even if you have applied before and/or are currently enrolled, we will need all documents resubmitted to one of several locations: 1) The Office of Admissions (Cooper Campus) 119 Oswald Building; 2) The One Stop Student Service Center (Leestown Campus), Building C; 3) The Lawrenceburg campus; or 4) The Danville campus by October 1, 2017 for the Spring 2018 class or March 1, 2017 for the Fall 2017 class in order to be considered for admission.
***IMPORTANT DEADLINE EXTENSION INFORMATION***
The Danville Campus practical nursing program will be extending their application deadline for fall 2017 until May 5th 2017. Pre-admission conferences will be offered on the following dates on Danville Campus:
- April 19th at 9:00 am, Room 116
- May 4th at 9:00 am, Room 116
Application packets should be turned in at the Danville Campus and will be accepted through the end of the business day on Friday, May 5th. Please contact Evelyn Grigsby at with additional questions.
Gather all of the documents required below for consideration to the Practical Nursing (to become an LPN) program and place them in one envelope:
- Create a Selective Admissions System account. Once you have an active account you can print a program checklist to begin the process. You must submit the checklist with your packet.
- Students who are currently enrolled in classes at BCTC must submit a complete packet of all documents listed here. Students who are not currently enrolled in classes at BCTC must fill out an application for admission and a complete packet of all documents.
- Official high school transcript or official passing GED scores. Transcripts must show a date of graduation. This is also required for students with college course work.
- Official scores of the American College Test (ACT), Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), or the COMPASS exam. This is also required for students with college course work.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary education attempted. Transcripts must be submitted from EACH college or university previously attended and must show every period of enrollment. Transcripts from the Kentucky Community and Technical College System do not need to be submitted.
- In order to be considered for admission to the Practical Nursing (to become an LPN) Program, each applicant must attend a mandatory preadmission conference with the Program Coordinator. Please refer to the preadmission conference website for further information. Additionally, you may view the Admissions Practical Nursing (to become an LPN) PowerPoint to review admission requirements. However, please note that viewing this PowerPoint does not meet the standard for the required preadmission conference.
You can contact the practical nursing coordinators at (859) 246-6882 for Danville.
If accepted for the program, applicants must attend a required practical nursing program orientation meeting and provide proof of the following by the end of the first week of classes in order to continue in the program. Students not in compliance with the following requirements by the end of the first week of class may be dropped from the program.
- Proof of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for the Health Care Provider.
- Proof of successful completion of a Medicaid Nurse Aide or equivalent course within the past three years; or proof of active status on the Medicaid Nurse Aide Registry.
- Required background check and vaccines. These requirements will be discussed at the orientation meeting.
- Computer literacy Introduction to Computers Course completed with a minimum grade of a C or successful completion of the IC3 (special exam for computer literacy credit)
Reminder: Incomplete packets will not be accepted. Please turn in your packet to a BCTC Office of Admissions by October 1, 2017 for the Spring 2018 class or March 1, 2017 for the Fall 2017 class. Please allow 10 business days to process your application to the Practical Nursing (to become an LPN) program. You will receive an automated e-mail informing you when your packet has been processed. To check on the status of your application you will need to login to your Selective Admissions System account.
For additional information about the program, please check out the Practical Nursing (to become an LPN) website.