Closing and Delay Procedures
Weather or Emergency Closing Information
Closing Policy Statement
During any inclement weather or other emergency, it is the policy of BCTC to keep all offices open and classes in session as scheduled if possible and practical. If a decision on cancellation or delay of college operations is necessary, the college president will consult with college leadership. The Public Information and Marketing office will update information for the media and the college community.
BCTC closures will be implemented on a campus-by-campus basis depending on the conditions in each city or class location.
If classes at a site are cancelled, that particular campus will be closed. If a delay is necessary, that campus will open at 9:30 a.m. Employees will report at the start time for classes, and services will begin at that time. If classes are cancelled for the day, night classes are also cancelled.
Closing announcements will be made on the BCTC infoline, BCTC website, and through SNAP emergency notification messages. The timely receipt of SNAP messages may depend on your cell phone service.
Announcements will also be provided to the media. TV and radio stations are given correct information, but the college cannot guarantee those messages will be displayed or stated accurately.
If a cancellation or delay announcement becomes necessary, the below messages will be announced.
In the event of all-day cancellation of classes, the following announcement will be made:
- Announcement: "Classes at Bluegrass Community and Technical College (campus location) are cancelled today (date)."
In the event of a delayed opening, the following announcement will be made:
- Announcement: "Bluegrass Community and Technical College (campus location) opens at 9:30 a.m. today (date)."
Please Note: All classes in session as of 9:30 a.m. (scheduled to start on or before 9:30 a.m.) will end as normally scheduled. All later classes will start and end at their normal times.
In the event of a cancellation of day classes or evening classes, the following announcement will be made:
- Announcement: "Classes at the Bluegrass Community and Technical College (Campus Location) beginning at (time) and after (time) are cancelled."
Where to Get Information
The most up-to-date and complete information can be obtained through the following official college sources:
- BCTC infoline at (859) 246-4636
- BCTC website at bluegrass.kctcs.edu
- BCTC Facebook Page: facebook.com/BluegrassCTC
- BCTC Twitter page: twitter.com/BluegrassCTC
- Sign up at www.kctcs.edu/SNAP for voicemail, email and/or text messages received on your cell phone
Closing and delay messages will be posted by the college on the following TV and radio stations. TV and radio stations are given correct information, however, if you hear or see an announcement of a delay or cancellation, it is best to double check one of the college's official sources above.
- Channel 18
- Channel 27
- Channel 56
- 98.1 The Bull
- 100.1 WKQQ
- 630 WLAP
- 104.5 WLKT FM
- 94.5 Mix WMXL
- 105.5 Great Oldies