Facilities and Operations News and Updates
Posted January 4, 2018
Celebrate!! The Newtown Science Education Center is officially open. Classes will begin in the building, as scheduled, on Monday, January 8. As we welcome students, faculty, and staff to the Newtown campus, please be mindful of construction activity that continues to occur on the campus. We encourage you to walk only on completed pathways and avoid areas of construction activity. Faculty and staff please take every opportunity to encourage students to use completed pathways and avoid construction areas.
Parking is available at all of the paved lots, with the exception of the LFUCG Police Academy lot located to the north of Megowan Building. There is also overflow parking available in the gravel lot adjacent to the Police Academy lot. See drawing below. With the start of the new semester, please allow plenty of time to park so that you arrive at your destination safe and on time. If you have any questions, please call Security Officer Jeremy Wilson at (859) 246-6659.
*Students may park in the areas indicated by the red arrows. To avoid being towed, do not park on the grass.
Parking remains as in the past semester. All BCTC parking is limited to the Green Lot (the lot between BCTC and Kroger Field). No BCTC parking is permitted in the Red or Blue Lots around the stadium. We do have overflow parking back by the softball stadium. UK has added some paved walking area, but part of the walking path is along College Way, so take care when walking through that area.
Just a few reminders as we begin this new year…
- Remember that there are bikers and walkers around all of our campuses, take your time as you drive through. Speed should be limited to 10 mph.
- Be aware of your surroundings both inside and outside of buildings. Watch for potential tripping hazards, open doors, items suspended from ceilings, and even other people. Avoid “distracted walking” just like you do distracted driving; don’t walk and text.
- Have the emergency contact numbers handy. They are on the BCTC website and you can download a printable version if you want.
- In the event of a medical emergency – dial 911. Our security officers will be notified when a 911 call is placed and will respond as well.
- If you are new to your campus, take a few minutes to learn where the security office is, learn emergency exit routes, and shelter areas. An update for the Newtown campus – the security office is moving to the SEC, Room 105.
- And lastly, report any suspicious activity: who or what you saw, when you saw it, where it occurred, and why it’s suspicious.