The Career Center helps students get career ready for life after BCTC. We can assist through career assessments, improving your interview skills, tips for resume writing, exploring a major, and more!
All new students are strongly encouraged to take a career assessment before starting classes to find a major and career that fits with their interests, strengths, values, and personality.
The O*NET Interest Profiler can help you find out what your interests are and how they relate to the world of work. This assessment can also help you decide what kinds of careers you might want to explore. Start the O*NET Interest Profiler.
If you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss your profile results, please contact us at BL_CareerCounseling@kctcs.edu.
TIPS FOR RESUME SUCCESS
- Your resume should contain key information including your name, city/state, email address and phone number, your educational background and work history. Each time you apply for a position, you should customize the resume to emphasize your skills and experience so that it is relevant to what the employer is seeking. Refer to the job posting and description to locate the specific experience and skills needed for the position, as you will want to demonstrate you have those skills, abilities and experience.
- Keep it simple! Classic, easy-to-read fonts and black type are the best way to format your resume. Bold, all caps, simple line borders and underscoring are acceptable for creating a professional-looking resume.
- Sell yourself by describing tasks you have performed (for example: answered phones, cooked food, cleaned tables, parked cars) in a more comprehensive format demonstrating your teamwork and communication skills, as well as your attention to detail. Example: I worked with a team to provide fast and accurate customer first service in a food service environment. These skills are essential for any employment and you want to present them in the context of where you learned and used them.
- Make sure your grammar and spelling are correct. Ask someone with strong writing and grammar skills to proofread and review your resume and cover letter before you send it. It is easy to overlook common mistakes when proofing your own writing, so it is essential to ask someone to assist you. We are here to help! Submit your resume, cover letter and/or reference page to Career Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bluegrass Community and Technical College uses College Central Network as its official job resource and resume system. Students alumni, and employers can easily create an account at www.collegecentral.com/bluegrass.
- Students, easily apply to jobs and Internship/Co-op job opportunities posted exclusively for you, and search other opportunities via Jobs Central and Intern Central , national job boards.
- Create and upload your resume and career portfolio to make available to employers.
- Access our events calendar, and career/job search advice documents, podcasts, videos and more.
- Employers search for talented students and alumni, and post unlimited jobs for free.
Some internships posted here are private opportunities that are not part of the Bluegrass Community and Technical College (BCTC) Cooperative Education Program and are not eligible for academic credit. If you are a BCTC student looking to earn class credit through a Cooperative Learning and Internship placement, you must first contact Laura Lynch at email@example.com to apply. BCTC is not responsible for and accepts no liability for any damages of any sort for internship experiences that are not coordinated by the BCTC Cooperative Education Program for internship or cooperative education.
BCTC's Career Fairs provide students with excellent opportunities to learn about potential employment openings and also develop networking and interviewing techniques. We hope you will join us at an upcoming Career Fair!
For more information, please contact us at BL_CareerCounseling@kctcs.edu.
Schedule an in-person career counseling appointment.
Schedule a phone career counseling appointment.
Please email us at BL_CareerCounseling@kctcs.edu