Staff and Advisor Links | BCTC

Important Staff and Advisor Documents for International Students

Please use the forms below to assist International Students studying at our institution on an F-1 visa. Remember to initiate the request process with your advisee and then have them turn in all completed forms to the International Student Services Office on Cooper Campus. You may also email the scanned document to us directly.

We know that there are many words that your professors, academic advisors, and International Student Service staff may use that you are unfamiliar with concerning your educational experience. Read the terms below to learn more about terms that you will hear often while on BCTC's campus!

  • Minor: The second subject or field you choose to study. For example, you could have a major in business and a minor in computer science.
  • Prerequisite: A course or proficiency that is required before you can register for a higher level course. For example, English 101 is required before English 102.
  • Probation: A student who's GPA falls below a certain level and will be placed on probation. Students on probation may not take more than 12 credit hours per semester. Students who remain on probation cannot graduate. Also, a student who is on
    probation for two consecutive semesters will not be allowed to enroll for the following semester. For an international student, that would mean you would need to leave the country.
  • Remedial Class: This is a class with a course number less than 100. Remedial classes are designed to help students prepare for a higher level course. For example, there are several English classes in the 90s that some students may need to take before English 101. Student's class levels are determined by the placement test they take before
    enrolling in courses.
  • Requirements: Classes that you must take for general education or as a part of your major.
  • Suspension: A student on probation who fails to raise the GPA to a 2.0 will be placed on academic suspension for one semester and cannot enroll and must leave the country.
  • Transcript: A complete record of a student's academic work. An official transcript is one that the student uses to transfer credits to another college or university. There is a $5.00 charge for a BCTC transcript.
  • Tuition: The amount of money charge for a credit hour. To calculate your tuition,
    multiply your credit hours by the tuition charged per credit hour.

FOR EXAMPLE: 12 CREDIT HOURS X $515 = $6,180.00