What is BCTC Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a college preparation program that is part of the college’s department of Multiculturalism and Inclusion.
Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program that provides academic support to high school students with plans to attend an institution of post-secondary education.The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
To qualify, students need to meet TRIO low-income guidelines or be a potential first-generation college student, meaning neither parent has obtained a bachelor’s degree. Additionally students must have at least started the 9th grade or are in 10th or 11th grade and attend one of the target high schools.
Current schools being served:
- Fayette County: Bryan Station H.S, Lafayette H.S, and Tates Creek H.S
- Boyle County: Boyle County H.S and Danville H.S
- Clark County: George Rogers Clark H.S
Students attending STEAM Academy, Opportunity Middle College, etc can qualify if the student's home school is among the schools being served.
- High School Academic Performance: Participants served will have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Academic Performance on Standardized Tests: Participants will achieve at the proficient level on state assessments in reading/language arts and math.
- Secondary School Retention and Graduation: Participants will continue in school for the next academic year at the next grade level OR will have graduated from secondary school with a regular diploma.
- Secondary School Graduation (rigorous secondary school program of study): Participants will complete a rigorous secondary school program of study (AP, Advanced classes, or dual credit opportunities, etc.) and graduate from high school in the year they were expected to graduate upon entry into Upward Bound.
- Post-secondary Enrollment: Participants will enroll in a program of post-secondary education by the fall term immediately following their high school graduation OR have a letter of acceptance but deferred enrollment until the spring semester.
- Post-secondary Completion: Participants will attain either an Associate's or Bachelor's degree within six years following high school graduation.
Upward Bound is a year round program. It consists of two parts, the Academic Year Program, and the Summer Program. During the Academic Year Program an Upward Bound Counselor will visit the students at the school once a month. The students will also receive tutoring to help with schoolwork, and one Saturday a month they visit Bluegrass Community & Technical College for a Return Trip. The Return Trips include workshops, cultural enrichment, and fun activities.
During the Summer Program, the students spend six exciting weeks at Bluegrass Community & Technical College, living in the residence halls on the University of Kentucky Campus. They take classes to improve their skills in reading, language arts, and math. They also enroll in afternoon elective classes such as drama, art, foreign language, computers, etc. Social and cultural events, field trips, and group living round out the total summer experience.
Bluegrass Community & Technical College
470 Cooper Drive, Academic Technical Building 204
Lexington, KY 40506
Telephone: (859) 246-6579
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m.