Personal Counseling

Visit the Virtual Pamphlets area for general information on a variety of counseling issues.

College students are dealing with many issues such as stress, family pressures, loneliness and other situations.

We can ...

Click here to
Schedule an Appointment
  • Help you develop strategies for coping with personal problems.
  • Provide crisis counseling and referrals to community agencies.
  • Provide support and encouragement.
  • Work with you to heighten your self-esteem.
  • Help you develop new problem-solving and decision-making skills.

Frequently Asked Questions About Counseling:

Why would someone seek counseling?

  • Some reasons student seek counseling include: Feelings of anxiety, self-doubt, or depression
  • Feeling overwhelmed or stressed
  • Difficulty with motivation or procrastination
  • Academic problems
  • Concerns about relationships with friends, family, or boyfriend/girlfriend
  • Homesickness
  • Questions about sexual identity/sexuality
  • Problems with alcohol or other drugs
  • Eating disorders
  • Rape, sexual assault, or relationship violence
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Feeling that something is wrong and not being able to define it
  • And much more...

What is our policy regarding confidentiality?

Students frequently ask the following questions about confidentiality:

  • What if a professor calls to find out if a student has sought counseling?
  • What if a parent calls wanting to know if their son or daughter is getting help?
  • What if a future employer wants to know if a BCTC graduate has ever received counseling?

Counseling faculty take its policy on confidentiality extremely seriously. No matter who calls seeking information about students or alumni, the answer is always something like this: "We are not allowed to disclose any information about students without a written release of information from that student. Therefore, we are not even able to tell you whether a person has ever sought services here."

That means that students can seek counseling services at Counseling Services and rest assured that no one will know their business unless the student gives his or her permission for the counselor to release information. There are only three exceptions to this policy:

  • The first involves safety: If a student discloses to a counselor that he or she feels like they can not prevent themselves from killing or seriously harming themselves or another person, the counselor may need to break confidentiality. That doesn't mean that students can't talk about suicidal or rageful feelings. Lots of students go through times when they feel this way. It's just that if a person feels these things to such extremes that they can't control themselves from carrying it out, their counselor may need to break confidentiality to protect a person from harm.
  • Another exception to the policy is when the student tells the counselor about someone being abused who is either under 18, over 65, or disabled. In these cases, the counselor is mandated by law to disclose that information to the Kentucky Department of Social Services. The reason for this is to make sure that people who can not protect themselves are being protected by the law and by state services.
  • The final exception to the policy is when a judge forces a counselor to turn over records to a court of law. This is very rare and only occurs when students are involved in some sort of legal proceedings such as custody cases and law suits.

Informed Consent

Our policy about confidentiality is based on state law and the ethics of the counseling profession. We believe strongly that students should be aware of how these policies work before they begin counseling. This is known as a client's informed consent. Counselors talk with students about these and other related issues in their first session.

Can I get individual counseling?

You can receive short-term, individual counseling. While the office of Career Development and Counseling Services offers counseling services to meet the various needs of our student population, we do not provide psychotherapy nor psychiatric care beyond crisis intervention. For those students needing such services we will work with them to find an appropriate referral source

All registered BCTC students are eligible for an initial consultation appointment with a counselor in the Career Development and Counseling area. Some students don't need more than that one appointment. Those students who need or desire follow-up sessions are seen on a short-term basis (typically 1-10 sessions), or they are referred to other area agencies for follow-up counseling.

What do Counselors do?

As Counselors, we are committed to promoting the personal growth and academic success of all BCTC students. Clearly, we recognize that the college experience can be exciting and rewarding for most students. At the same time, it can also have its challenges and difficulties. Our entire area is available to provide support and help to all students. To find out more about us, visit our Counselors page.

How do I schedule an appointment?

Career Development and Counseling Services serves all BCTC campuses.

Phone: (859) 246-6550 or toll-free 866-774-4872 ext. 56550.

Click here to schedule your appointment online.

All services are free and confidential. Evening appointments are gladly made upon request. Sometimes there is a short waiting period to get an appointment scheduled.

If you or someone you know is in crisis: What should you do?

Psychological crises involve two kinds of situations: medical and non-medical. However, always err in the direction of safety.

Medical Psychological Emergency - one in which a person has cut him/herself, lost consciousness, taken pills or has in another way put their physical health in danger.

  • Procedure: If the person lives on campus call Campus Police at 911 so the student can be transported by ambulance to the university hospital immediately. If the person lives off campus, call 911 and report the emergency.

Non-Medical Psychological Crisis - this might include an individual who is hallucinating, who is disoriented, who is threatening to hurt or kill self or another, or who is depressed to the extent that their functioning and/or judgment is impaired.

  • Procedure: If the person lives on campus and is not in imminent danger, contact an R.A. for assistance. The R.A. will determine whether the student should be taken to the University Mental Health Services or after hours, be transported to the university hospital. If the person lives off campus, call or take the person to your local hospital emergency room for an assessment.

If you are unsure about the person's safety, or unsure about whether the person is in imminent danger of hurting self or another, or if you are unable to reach your R.A. in time, do not hesitate to call 911. Either campus police or your local police will respond. They will make a determination about whether to transport the student to the university hospital, or a local hospital.

College is about much more than attending classes. The Career Development and Counseling faculty are here to help.