Field experiences are designed to include a number of opportunities in various child care settings. In each semester throughout the program students will most likely be observing and/or participating in a child care classroom. The National Association for the Education of Young Children recommends that students in associate degree programs spend 300 hours in their field experiences with children. Students are required to complete a portion of their hours outside their own classroom in a variety of settings if they are employed in child care. Family Day Care students should plan to fulfill their practicum requirements in a center.
- Two STAR Rating or above (center and/or Family Day Care Home)
- KY ALLSTAR Tier III or above
- NAEYC Accreditation or Family Child Care Home Certification
- KERA Preschools (for some courses only)
- Head Start sites: Community Action Council or surrounding counties
- Home Visiting agencies: First Steps, Head Start, etc. (with supervision)
Students enrolled in IEC courses must have the following forms on file and kept current for two years or as long as active in IEC courses. If a student skips a semester, the background checks must be renewed.
- Confidentiality Statement
- Hepatitis B form
- T.B. (must be current)
- Background Checks: BCTC CAN Check ($10) and BCTC KSP Check ($10)
- Memorandum of Agreement with Observation Site on File (Ask MS Maria for the form)
Please contact: email@example.com for Background Packet
- IEC 101 Orientation to Early Childhood Education: 20 hrs.
- IEC 102 Foundations of Early Childhood Education: 10 hrs.
- IEC 120 Health, Safety and Nutrition 0 hrs.
- IEC 130 Early Childhood Development: 10 hrs.
- IEC 170 Observation and Assessment: 20 hrs.
- IEC 180 Approaches to ECE Curriculum: 10 hrs.
- IEC 190 Applied Experiences in ECE: 100 hrs. (6 hrs./wk)
- IEC 200 Child Guidance: 5 hrs.
- IEC 210 Families and Communities in ECE: 10 hrs.
- IEC 216 Literacy and Language in IEC: 5 hrs.
- IEC 221 Creative Expressions in IEC: 5 hrs.
- IEC 235 Intro to Inclusive Education: 10 hrs.
- IEC 240 Administration of Early Childhood Education: 10 hrs.
- IEC 246 Science and Math in IECE: 5 hrs.
- IEC 260 Infant/Toddler Programming: 10 hrs.
- IEC 291 IECE Practicum/Cooperative Education: 185 hrs. (15 hrs./wk.)