Math & Stats Advising
The following advising resources are provided to assist advisors and students with advising and registration for mathematics and statistics courses at BCTC. Find information about mandatory placement, our courses, course sequence, and course equivalencies. If you have questions about mathematics and statistics advising, please email Kausha.Miller@kctcs.edu.
Please contact Angela.Huddleston@kctcs.edu if you have trouble accessing this information.
- Advisor Notes- Math & Stats
- Advisor Notes - MAT011
- Advisor Notes- Corequisites
- How to Schedule with Advisor in Starfish
Math Placement Test and Score Changes
- As of March 1st, BCTC Math Placement Test will be KYOTE -look for KMATH and KALG scores in PS
- MAT 160 PreCalculusplacement scores now match MAT 150 College Algebra placement scores
- A Calculus Placement test is available through the MS Division -Contact Kausha.Miller@kctcs.edu
- Seeonline at Math & Stats Advising>>Math/QR Placement Tables
GENERAL MATH ADVISING
Math & Stats Advising Website:
BCTC Home >> Faculty & Staff >> Advisor Quickview >> Mandatory Placement: Math and Stats Advising InformationContains information about: Advising, Mandatory Placement, Co-Requisites, MAT011 and Additional Resources
Online Course Enrollment Request:
BCTC Home >> Academics >> Enrollment Assistance: Math Enrollment RequestUse for enrollment in all Co-Requisite courses, and for currently enrolled MAT011 students, or any math or stats courses wherePeoplesoft is not recognizing a prerequisite has been met.
Efficient Math Pathways
||MAT 11 (may need multiple enrollments) > Any College Math|
MAT 11 (may need multiple enrollments) > Any College Math
MAT 75 >MA 111 or PHI 250 or STA 210
||MAT 75 >MAT 126|
MAT 75 >MAT 150 + MAT 96 Co-requisite (>MAT 170 if needed)
MAT 75 >MAT 85 >MAT 160 >MA 113
Available Math Course- Delivery Modes
Mathematics and statistics courses are available in both on campus and online formats except:
SUMMER 2018 MATH ADVISING
*New* Summer Developmental Pilot (in conjunction with Reading and English)
- Complete developmental requirements during 1st 8-week Summer Term
- MAT 011, MAT 075, MAT 085, IRW 085, ENC 091, RDG 185 Available, including some online options
- See Summer 2018 Pilots
- Special MAT011 Hybrid Section - Only for continuing MAT011 students from Spring who earned MP or higher. Must use Online Math Enrollment Request Form to Enroll
|1564||MAT||11||J111||BLCNEWTOWN||5/14/2018||7/9/2018||W||11 AM||12:50 PM|
*New* Tech Math Co-Requisites Available Online
- MAT 105 + MAT 096 Business Math Co-Requisite and MAT 110 + MAT 096 Applied Math Co-Requisite
- Only available during 1st 8-week Summer Term
- Use Online Math Enrollment Request Form to Enroll
FALL 2018 MATH ADVISING
*New* Locations for Calculus Course Offerings in Fall 2018
- MA 113 Calculus I and MA 114 Calculus II available at Cooper & Newtown
- MA 213 Calculus III and MA 214 Calculus IV available only at Newtown
Calculus Advising Notes:
- MAT 160 Precalculus recommended prerequisite for MA 113 Calculus I
- To meet the prerequisites for MA 113, MA 114, or MA 213, a student must earn a "C"
or higher in
- Calculus I - Calculus III are all 5 credit hour/7 contact hour courses, that meet
MTWR and require
require enrollment in the corresponding workshop component:
MA 113 Calculus 1 + MA 193, MA 114 Calculus II + MA 194, MA 213 Calculus III + MAT 195
MAT 096 Co-Requisite Pairs
- Co-requisite model allows developmental students to take college-level classes while
supplemental instruction and assistance in a paired, scheduled MAT096 lab
- Students MUST register for same section number of BOTH the College Level Math Course
corresponding section of MAT 096 [Ex. MAT 150 - J1A1 + MAT 096 - J1A1]
- See Math & Stats Advising >> Advisor Notes - Corequisites for specific sections available
- Paired on-campus co-requisite courses have an "A" in the section numbers (except Tech Math)
- Must use Online Math Course Enrollment Request form to enroll
- Complete Co-Requisite Options
MAT 105 Business Math + MAT 096 Available Summer > Online; Fall > Online & Newtown
MAT 110 Applied Math + MAT 096 Available Summer > Online; Fall > Online
MAT 116 Technical Math + MAT 096 Available Fall Only > Leestown
MAT 150 College Algebra + MAT 096 Available Fall Only > Online & Most Campuses
- Prerequisites for COLLEGE ALGEBRA Co-Requisite: MAT 150 + MAT 096 [5 credit hours]
oPrior MAT 065 or MAT 075
oKYOTE KMATH ≥ 22 oPrior MAT011 Block 2 Credit oWBSTQ ≥ 288 oACT Math ≥ 19 oCOMPASS Alg ≥ 36
- Prerequisites for TECH MATH Co-Requisite: MAT 105,110,116 + MAT 096 [4 credit hours]
oPior MAT 055 Credit oKYOTE KMATH ≥ 12 oPrior MAT011 Block 1 Credit oWBSTQ ≥ 250 oACT Math ≥ 16 oCOMPASS Alg ≥ 16 (Recommend PreAlg ≥ 42
MAT 011 TRANSITIONAL ALGEBRA Questions about MAT 011? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- EMPORIUM: Competency-Based Learning through Technology offering Acceleration, Individualized Instruction, Flexible Pacing, and Mastery Learning through the Developmental Math Course Sequence
- Offers "Rollover Option" for no-repeat continuation of learning between semesters
- (Requires continual enrollment each semester, including summers, until a "P" grade is earned)
- For Priority Registration - Refer to MAT 011 Progress Reports
- Current MAT 011 students should re-enroll in MAT 011 unless otherwise indicated
- Enrollment in Non-MAT 011 Class requires Math Course Enrollment Request form
- For Late Registration - Refer to PS Student Information:
- If MAT 011 PASS à confirm placement by KYOTE [PS Student Information >> Test Scores] or STEP Credit [PS Student Information >> Test/Transfer Credit].
- IF MAT 011 MP à re-enroll in MAT 011
ADVISING FOR MAT011 TRANSITIONAL ALGEBRA
**IMPORTANT GENERAL ADVISING NOTES**
||Always confirm Major/Program Plan and transfer goals|
||Always confirm and discuss Math Pathway based on Academic Goals|
Have student change major in Peoplesoft as needed.
Always verify Placement Test Scores [PS Student Information >> Test Scores]
And STEP Credit [PS Student Information >> Test/Transfer Credit]
A. MAT011 Block Equivalency
|BLOCK 1||Modules 1 - 4||MAT055 Prealgebra||Low-Level New Student Placement|
|BRIDGE A||Review of MAT055||Average-Level New Student Placement|
|MINI-BLOCK 1.5||MAT062 Intro to Workplace Math||
Tech Math Pathway ONLY
Prerequisite for MAT105, 110, 116
|BLOCK 2 OR
|Modules 5 - 8||MAT075 Mathematical Literacy||Prerequisite for MAT085, MA111, MAT126, and MAT150 + MAT096 Co-requisite|
|BRIDGE B||Transition to MAT085||High-Level New Student Placement|
|BLOCK 3||Modules 9 - 12||MAT085 Intermediate Algebra||Prerequisites for MAT150 or MAT160|
B. MATH PATHWAYS IN MAT011
|Technical Math Pathway||Block 1 > Mini-Block 1.5 > Tech Math (MAT105, MAT110, MAT116)|
|Accelerated||Block 1 > Tech Math + Co-Requisite [MAT105/110/116 + MAT096]|
|Liberal Arts Math Pathway||Block 1 > Block 2 > MA111 Contemporary Math or MAT126|
|Accelerated||Mini-Block 2.5 > MA111 Contemporary Math or MAT126|
|College Algebra Pathway||Block 1 > Block 2 > Block 3 > MAT150 College Algebra|
|Accelerated||Block 2 or Mini-Block 2.5 > MAT150 + MAT096 Co-requisite|
|Calculus Pathway (STEM)||Block 2 > Block 3 > MAT160 Precalculus > MA113 Calculus I|
C. MAT011 Grades and General Advising
|Currently Enrolled||During Priority Registration, ask for MAT011 PROGRESS REPORT (given to students 1-2 weeks after midterm)|
|PASS (P)||Passed a BLOCK/COURSE Final = STEP Credit [PS Student Information >> Test/Transfer Credit] OR Earned KYOTE MP ≥ 22 (College-Ready) [PS Student Information >> Test Scores]|
|MAKING PROGRESS (MP)||*Not a Passing Grade* Attended all semester AND Completed at least ½ BLOCK/COURSE|
|FAIL (F)||Did NOT attend all semester and/or made no progress|
Scheduling an Appointment in STARFISH:
- Log into your blackboard account with your KCTCS user name and password.
Note: You can also access STARFISH through your Student Self-Service
- Click on "Starfish" in the "Tools" menu on the left.
- On the Home Page, Click on "My Success Network" which include your instructors, resources and assigned advisor. Scroll through until you find your Instructor or Advisor and click on "Schedule Appointment"
- A Calendar will appear with available dates in BOLD. Look for available appointment times for your desired dates or Testing window. Choose
the appropriate type of appointment, "Office Hour", "Advising", or "Proctoring" and click on "Sign Up"
- Complete the Appointment Form.
For Proctoring, be sure to indicate
your course, then click "Sign Up"
For Office Hours or Advising, be sure
to indicate the reason for the visit and
what type of visit it will be (phone or
in person) and click "Submit"
- After successfully submitting, your name should appear on the available time and you
will receive a
confirmation email in your KCTCS email account and the appointment will appear on your Dashboard.
- Math & Stats Course Flowchart
- Math/QR Pathways
- Math/QR Pathways by Major
- MAT 011 Transitional Math Flyer
One Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor.
Two Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor.
Three Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor.
MAT011 Transitional Algebra - Emporium Model
MAT011 TRANSITIONAL ALGEBRA is a developmental math course taught using a modified emporium model.
- The course contains the competencies for ALL developmental mathematics
- Separated into 3 BLOCKS: Block I MAT055 Block II MAT075 Block III MAT085.
- Start in the BLOCK best representing current level based on Placement Test and/or prior course work.
- Continue in MAT011 working through BLOCKS at flexible pace over one or more semesters until specific prerequisites completed
- Receive STEP Credit for completed course work and free KYOTE Placement Testing.
Key features MAT011 include:
"Learn only what you need to learn"
FLEXIBLE PACING & ACCELERATED LEARNING
"Learn at a pace right for you"
"Build a Solid Foundation"
"Take learning into your own hands."
EdReady is a freeonline tutorial and test preparation program for mathematics!
Students that test into a developmental math course can use Edready for college math preparation and thenretake the math placement exam at BCTC for free.
Instead of payingtuition for developmental math courses, students can learn using Edready at no cost. The goal is for students to bypass developmental math courses in order to complete college level math requirements in ashorter time frame.
- Sign up at https://kctcsbluegrass.edready.org
- Add the goal BCTC Math Preparation
- Once you click on your goal, you will be asked to take an intial assessement
- Your customized study plan now contains the units that need to be studied
- Click on a unit to get started-Units include videos, tutorials, examples, excercises, and quizzes
- Successful completion of a unit quiz willincrease your overall score
- Whenyou reach your goal score, contact Advising and Assessment to schedule afreemathplacement exam.
* * *
EdReady is designed and maintained byThe NROC Project, a community-guided non-profit and is available at no cost for personal use.
* * *
Math Tutoring is available to students who are working on EdReady.
* * *
For questions about EdReady and/orhelp with registering an account, please contact: Angela.Huddleston@kctcs.edu