Practical Nursing Pathway 1
Diploma (Leestown Campus)
Coordinator: Alicia Husted
Phone Number: 859-246-4614
Students must meet college readiness benchmarks as identified by the Council on Postsecondary Education or remedy the identified skill deficiencies.
NOTE: This is a Selective Admissions program. NAA 100 or equivalent and CPR 100 or equivalent are prerequisites to the NPN courses.
Required before NLN First Semester Courses
|CPR 100: CPR for Health Care Professionals||0-1||See Additional Information|
|NAA 100 or equivalent||0-3|
Total Semester Credit Hours: 0-4
|BIO 135: Basic Anatomy and Physiology with Laboratory||4||BIO 137 AND BIO 139 can replace BIO 135|
|NPN 100: Introduction to Nursing & Health Care System||2||Co-requisite: BIO 135 or BIO 139|
|NPN 105: Development of Care Giver Role||6||Co-requisite: BIO 135 or BIO 139|
|NPN 110: Pharmacology I||2||Co-requisite: BIO 135 or BIO 139|
Total Semester Credit Hours: 14
NOTE: All courses in Semester 1 must be completed before Semester 2.
|NPN 125: Mental Health||3|
|NPN 130: Pharmacology II||3|
|NPN 135: Introduction to Health Deviation||6|
|NPN 201: Childbearing Family||3|
Total Semester Credit Hours: 15
|ENG 101: Writing I OR COM 181: Basic Public Speaking OR COM 252: Introduction to Interpersonal Communication||3|
|NPN 200: Med Surg I||5||NPN 125 and NPN 130 and NPN 135 and NPN 201||First 1/3 of semester|
|NPN 205: Med Surg II||5||NPN 200||Second 1/3 of semester|
|NPN 210: Clinical Practicum||4||NPN 205||Third 1/3 of semester|
|NPN 215: Nursing Trends & Issues||1||NPN 125 and NPN 130 and NPN 135 and NPN 201||Third 1/3 of semester|
Total Semester Credit Hours: 18
Total Diploma Credit Hours: 47-51
- 25% or more of Total Diploma Credit Hours must be earned at BCTC.
- Cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or higher.
The Practical Nursing program is a selective admissions program which admits initial admission in the Fall and Spring semesters.
See the program website for selective admission information including mandatory pre-admission conference dates and NLN PAX PN exam information.
- CPR certification for the healthcare provider must be obtained prior to enrolling in the first NSG course and must be kept current throughout the program.
- Documentation of active status on the Medicaid Nurse Aide Registry or successful completion on NAA 100 Nursing Assistant Skills I within the previous three years is required prior to enrolling in NPN 100.
- A letter grade of C or higher in each course is required to continue in the program.
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained after admission to the Practical Nursing program.
- Successful completion of ALL BIO classes must be accomplished BEFORE entering second semester nursing classes.
Reviewed by: Alicia Husted
Effective Term: Fall 2019
Review Date: 02/23/2022