Institutional Closing

alert icon BCTC campuses and offices will be closed starting on December 16, 2017. We will reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 with normal operating hours. Have a wonderful holiday and a great new year!

Requesting Paper, Toner and Staples

Requesting Paper

In the event that a device is low on paper, please ask for additional paper from the appropriate BCTC Contact or Department Office Manager or Administrative Assistant.

Requesting Toner and Staples

Each device is assigned a BCTC Contact. BCTC Contacts are responsible for replacing toner and staples. The BCTC Contact should ensure that a spare toner tube or cartridge is on hand at all times.

In the event that toner is low, please refer to the links, below, to request that toner be replaced:

  • Laser Printers - If the printer is experiencing a paper or toner issue, please contact your office manager or program coordinator. For all other issues, please contact the IT Support Center at 246-4600 or by submitting an online IT Assistance Request.
  • BCTC MFP Contact List - contact the Associate Vice President of Business Services about the MFP contact list