Screening of Invisible Children Documentary
What: Screening of Invisible Children Documentary
Date: Thursday, February 1, 2007 Time: 11:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Place: Auditorium, Room 230, Oswald Building, BCTC Cooper Campus, 470 Cooper Drive, Lexington.
LEXINGTON, KY (January 24, 2007) Bluegrass Community amp; Technical Colleges (BCTC) Office of Multicultural Affairs will host screenings of the documentary film "Invisible Children" on Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 11:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. in the Auditorium, Room 230, Oswald Building, on the Cooper Campus.
The documentary is the work of three young southern California filmmakers who went to southern Sudan in the Spring of 2003 to document the war and immense human suffering there. "Invisible Children" exposes the exploitation of children as weapons and victims in a 20-year long war in Northern Uganda. This short documentary film highlights the children who are kidnapped and forced into military service or child prostitution by the rebel group called the Lord's Resistant Army (LRA).
Originally released to small audiences in living rooms and local theaters, the film received coverage on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Cable News Network (CNN), and the National Geographic Channel and numerous major news publications. Because of the documentary, a national movement titled The Invisible Children Inc. was formed in September 2004. The movements mission is to raise awareness of injustices and inhumane practices occurring in Northern Uganda. A road crew from the film will be at BCTC to speak with the audiences at both showings and share with them how they can get involved in the movement.
For more information on the Invisible Children documentary and movement visit their website at https://invisiblechildren.com/
For more information on the screenings at BCTC, contact Erin Howard, Hispanic Outreach Coordinator BCTC (859) 246-6436.
- Monday, January 29th, 2007 at 7:00 pm at the Lexington Public Library Central Branch sponsored by the Migrant Network Coalition
- Wednesday, January 31st, 2007 at 6:00 pm at UK Memorial Hall sponsored by Students Taking Action Globally (STAG)
- Thursday, February 1st, 2007 at 11:00 am and 3:30 pm at Bluegrass Community and Technical College Oswald Building Auditorium sponsored Enlace, the Latino Student Association and BCTC Multicultural Affairs.
- Thursday, February 1st, 2007 at 7:00 pm at the Live Wire Coffee Shop on Main Street in Richmond, KY sponsored by the LiveWire and Eastern Kentucky University's ClubRec.
- Saturday, February 3rd at 12:30 pm at Natasha's Cafe. Please call 859-259-2754 to make lunch reservations.