Processes to Know

Processes to Know

How and why should you “double-delete” KCTCS email?

It’s very important to check KCTCS email regularly-- and to “double-delete” what you don’t need. One “delete” puts the message into your delete box, but it has to be deleted again to free up your email space.

Some instructors use email to get in touch with students about important changes in class or assignment.

The Student Affairs office emails students when and how to advance register and get the best possible schedule. Students who do not check email regularly and “double-delete” old messages miss important new ones.

How do you declare or change a major?

Students who want to be accepted into a technical program need to declare their major so that they can receive important information and so that, if there is a wait list for acceptance into that program, they can be placed on that. Students may declare or change a major using the Student Center in Student Self-Service.

How do you figure a semester GPA?

Knowing how to figure your GPA can help you make decisions about what grade you need to get in a course to be eligible for a scholarship or for a technical program. Sometimes, too, figuring your semester GPA can help you decide whether you should drop (withdraw from) a course to protect your overall GPA.

The following chart shows how to figure your semester GPA. On each line multiply credit hours times grade equals quality points: (hours x grade = quality points)

Course  Credit Hours  Grade  Quality Points 
ENG 101   3  B (3 pts.)  9
SPA 101   4  A (4 pts.)  16
AST 191   3  C (2 pts.)  6
MA 109   3  D (1 pt.)  3
GEO 160  3  E (0 pts.)  0

16 total credit hours; 34 total quality points.

Do not average in any courses with course numbers below 100. For example, do not average ENC 91 (91 is less than 100) or MAT 65 with other courses. Also, do not average courses that give P/F grades.

Once you have the total for credit hours and the total for quality points, divide credit hours into quality points: Quality points divided by credit hours = your semester GPA. For the student whose grades are in the chart above, 34 quality points divided by 16 credit hours equals a GPA of 2.15.

How can you find out if a course transfers?

You may be able to find what course is equivalent to yours at the Transfer Center link (under the Current Students link on the BCTC web site). A number of universities list course equivalencies there. But you can also get help at BCTC’s Transfer Center, AT lobby, Cooper campus—help available by phone or email. Or you can contact the registrar at the college to which you are transferring the course. For colleges and universities in Kentucky students can take advantage of block transfer agreements. See block transfer.

What happens if a tuition bill is not paid on time?

Students who do not pay tuition by the published deadline may have their registration cancelled. This means that they will lose the schedule they originally had—and have to start over. The classes previously chosen may no longer be available if other students register for them before the tuition issue is resolved.

Whom should students contact if they have a problem with an instructor?

If the problem is about the syllabus, for example, that the course syllabus is not being followed, the student can contact the coordinator whose name is on the syllabus. If some other problem exists, and the student feels a mediator would help, the Academic ombud is the mediator. The ombud will listen to the student, talk with the instructor, and attempt to help both resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved, the ombud can determine whether the issue merits review by BCTC’s Appeals Board and explain appeals procedures to the student.