Student Billing FAQ

Student Billing FAQs


Can I pay my tuition bill online?

Your tuition can be paid online. You may use your credit card or electronic check payments by logging into your PeopleSoft account.

Do I have to pay for my classes when I register?

Yes, your payment is expected upon enrollment or you have anticipated Financial aid that covers your charges, (please refer to the BCTC Academic Calendar for payment deadlines).

To ensure that your financial aid is approved in time to meet payment deadlines, you must apply by March 15 for Fall semester, August 15 for Spring semester, and December 15 for Summer semester.

Note: Submission of your financial aid application and requested documentation after these priority dates may result in you having to pay for your classes out of pocket until your eligibility can be assessed.

I am a veteran. Do veterans get any special benefits?

If you are a veteran of any war since 1917 and were a Kentucky resident during your service you may qualify for additional benefits. Please contact our Veterans Affairs Office at (859) 246-6820 or you can email Desiree Groves at

Do you offer a Payment Plan option?

  • BCTC offers a payment plan administered by Nelnet Business Solutions.
  • Payments are automatically deducted from a bank account or credit card.
  • The number of payments and amount of down payment vary, depending on when the agreement is submitted.
  • The cost to participate in the plan will be $25.00 and this amount will be paid to Nelnet Business Solutions when plan is set up.
  • The agreement and down payment (if required) must be completed and submitted online prior to payment deadline.
  • For full details, pick up a payment plan brochure from the Student Billing Office.
  • Any changes or termination of plan is the students responsibility and should be addressed at the Student Billing Office.

Note: We do not offer payment plans for Fall II, Spring II or summer sessions.

How do education tax credits work?

The Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning credits are subtracted from your taxes. They cover tuition and any costs you need to pay to enroll, except insurance, medical and health fees, room and board, transportation, or similar living expenses.

How do I access the Easy Help link on the Higher One website?

To access the Higher One Easy Help link, please visit the Higher One Easy HelpSM our self-service database located at:

How do I contact Student Billing?

(855) 246-2477

Visit the Student Billing Homepage

If my tuition is being paid by a Third Party payer, who should I contact?

If your tuition is paid by an employer, Voc Rehab, Veterans Rehab, Scholarships, Awards of the State, or other third party means, you must confirm this with the appropriate documentation by the published payment deadline.

Note: Authorization forms can be faxed to (859) 246-4665 or by email to

If you have questions concerning Third Party payments you should contact the BCTC Third Party Representative located at the Cooper Campus in room 215 of the Oswald Bldg.

I've not received my BankMobile Debit Card, how do I get another card?

If you have never received your initial card because it was sent to the wrong address, please contact the Student Records Office to update your new address and to get a replacement card sent to you.

Note: Cards can only be mailed to the primary address listed on your student account profile. There may be a fee associated with a replacement card.

What are the drop/refund dates?

Please review our drop/refund dates on BCTC s Academic Calendar at:

What are the hours of operation for Student Billings?

Our Student Billing Office Hours*

Cooper Campus

  • Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  • Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Leestown Campus

  • Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Newtown Campus - Currently Closed

  • Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

*Note: All Offices are closed daily for lunch 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

What are the payment deadlines for upcoming semesters?

All semester payment deadlines are outlined on the Student Academic Calendar at:

What is the Student Financial Tuition/Fees Appeal process?

The Tuition/Appeals form may be picked up in Student Records.

This Appeals process allows students to appeal tuition/fee charges under certain conditions. All charges must be appealed in writing and students will be notified of decisions in writing.

Written appeals must include the student s full name, mailing address, social security number, and PeopleSoft ID number and the semester for which they are appealing. Tuition/Fee appeals must be submitted within the same academic year of when charges are assessed.

Note: If you received a federal financial aid refund check, you are not eligible to appeal tuition charges for that term.

What school code should I use for my FAFSA?

BCTC s School Code is "005244"

What types of payment methods are available?

  • Online payments are the quickest and most convenient way to pay.
  • Credit Card or electronic check, MasterCard, Visa, Amex, or Discover. We also accept cash, check or money order in the office.
  • Credit Card or electronic check payments for full amount only may be made online by accessing your student account.
  • Waivers, Financial Aid, and Third Party Payers.
  • Payments must include student ID number and daytime phone number.
  • Mailed payments must be received in Student Billing Office by published deadline and mailed to:

BCTC Student Billing Office
Leestown Campus
164 Opportunity Way
Lexington, KY 40511

Note: Mailed payments must be received in Student Billing Office by published deadline. You may also view types of payment methods at:

When will I receive my refund check?

Refunds are coordinated through Student Billing and are generally sent weekly. KCTCS has contracted with BankMobile (an outside company that specialized in student refund payment services) to deliver all residual funds to students.

With BankMobile you can request either direct deposit of your residual funds to a free BankMobile account with a KCTCS debit card, direct deposit to your personal bank account, or request a paper check to be mailed to your address in PeopleSoft. BankMobile ATMs are located on the Cooper Campus and the Leestown Campus.

To learn more about the KCTCS Easy Refund Program and the selection process, visit the BCTC Student Billing Office or visit the BankMobile Debit Card website.

Where are the BCTC Student Billing Offices located?

Cooper Campus

470 Cooper Drive,
215 Oswald Bldg.
Lexington, KY 40506

Leestown Campus

164 Opportunity Way
Building C-126
Lexington, KY 40511

Newtown Campus - Currently Closed

500 Newtown Pike
Room CB-103H
Lexington, KY 40508-1207

*Note: All Offices are closed daily for lunch 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.


Why are there additional charges on my account?

Description of our additional charges:

  • Security Charges - A security charge of $40.00 is assessed to all BCTC students every semester, regardless of number of hours enrolled. The charges is used to offset the costs of security in all college facilities, including security personnel, equipment, and lighting.
  • Late Charges - A late charges of $75.00 is assessed to all accounts not paid by the published deadline.
  • Reinstatement Charges - A $75.00 reinstatement charge will be assessed to any student who requests reinstatement if removed from classes due to non-payment.
  • Professional Liability Insurance - A $11.00 charge per term will be collected from those students enrolled in programs that require professional liability insurance (Human Services and Early Childhood Development Programs).
  • Insufficient Funds Charge - A $50.00 charge will be assessed for each check returned due to insufficient funds.
  • Delinquent Accounts - will be sent to the Kentucky Department of Revenue, which will charge additional charges.
  • A Mandatory Fee of $8.00 per credit hour will be assessed to all students. This fee is part of the Build Smart program to fund new facilities or renovate existing buildings. Please check out this site: to learn more about your college's campus projects.

Note: All charges are Non-refundable

Important Note

Once a student enrolls the student becomes financially obligated. If the student does not plan to attend a class, it is the student's responsibility to complete the official withdrawal process through the student records department.

  • Make sure your KCTCS student email account is activated and maintained at all times.
  • All college correspondence, including electronic bills, will be sent to your BCTC student email account.
  • Remember to update your address information in Student Records or Online at the following PeopleSoft URL address: