What is Commercial driver's license training?
Bluegrass’s training program will prepare you with the skills necessary to earn a full CDL license. Completing students gain the CDLA I certificate. This CDLA program meets all the requirements for ELDT (entry-level driver training) set forth by the FMCSA that began on Feb 7, 2022.
- 160 hours (4 weeks full time) of training, including 40 classroom hours, 120 skills & driving training hours
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical/Drug Screen
- DOT Rules and Regulations
- Kentucky CDL Manual
- Map Reading Assistance
- Trip Planning Guidelines
- CDL Road Test
How do I apply?
CDL training program applicants must meet the following requirements before being admitted into the program:
- Read and write the English language fluently.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Meet the Federal DOT physical requirements, including a drug screen.
- Have a valid driver's license at the time of registration.
- Attempt to obtain the learner’s permit before class starts.
For more information, fill out the “request more information here” at the top left of this page.
You will receive an email with more information and an opportunity to ask for an application.
You can also email the Program Contact with questions.
Filling out the information form does not enroll you, you must request an application through the email.
- $5,000 tuition includes DOT physical, drug screen, CDL manual, classroom and road training.
- Tuition does not include the following student fees to the circuit clerk’s office: CDL application $24, permit $11, skills testing $50, original CDL $40 (total $125).
- Tuition to be paid in full before the first day of class.
- Acceptable payment methods: cash, credit card, bank check (no personal checks) or student loan.
- There are opportunities for sponsorship through trucking companies.
- Funding may be available through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Contact the Kentucky Career Center to see if you qualify.
What are my career choices?
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver
- Light Truck Drivers
Length of Program
This program is 160 hours (4 weeks full time) of training including 40 classroom hours.