Complaints and Grievances | BCTC

Complaints and Grievances

BCTC offers students several options for filing complaints and grievances depending upon the situation.

BCTC follows the KCTCS Code of Student Conduct for academic grievances.  

To resolve any academic dispute or grievance, students are advised to begin with the person(s) most closely involved, which is usually the course instructor. 

If that step does not produce an acceptable result, the student is advised to work with the, program coordinator, Assistant Dean, or Academic Ombud. Contact information for the program coordinator and Assistant Dean may be found on the course syllabus 

If the complaint is not resolved to satisfaction, students are encouraged to follow KCTCS' Appeal Procedures in the Code of Student Conduct. Please note the deadlines for submitting a formal appeal via the appeal procedures. 

Academic Ombud

The Academic Ombud helps resolve academic disputes between students and faculty or administration. When a student is unable to resolve a grievance or complaint through usual means, the Ombud may be able to expedite the process or advise the student about the proper procedures to follow. Problems include, but are not limited to, violation of student’s academic rights, unfair teaching and grading practices, cheating and plagiarism, and discrimination and harassment.

If you feel your accessibility concerns are not being met, please contact Student Accessibility Services.

Students who have complaints about their bill or financial account may contact the Bursar’s Office. To schedule an appointment or ask a question, email  

If you are unsure who to contact or what area your complaint or grievance falls, please contact the Student Success Hub for assistance and guidance.

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in college programs and activities. Sexual harassment, including sexual violence, and retaliation are forms of discrimination prohibited by Title IX. Please visit the Title IX website to contact the Title IX Coordinator or report an incident to the Title IX Coordinator. If you have questions about the Title IX process after you have reviewed the website, you can contact the Title IX Coordinator at

Please visit the Dual Credit page for phone numbers and email contact details.

Students who have complaints about financial aid should first work with the Financial Aid Office to resolve the dispute.