What is Computer Aided Drafting and Design?
The Computer Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) program at the Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Leestown Campus offers an Associate in Applied Science in CADD and various Certificates to successful candidates. Our program of study concentrates on the skills required to transform the specifications and instructions of designers or engineers into complete and precise drawings using hand drawings, Computer Aided Drafting, and Parametric design.
Used in fields such as architecture, electronics, aerospace, naval, automotive engineering, and manufacturing, CADD has become an essential skill for drafting and design professionals. To meet the demand for CADD training, we have maintained our labs with software and hardware updates to the current standards and have on-going training for instructors who need to constantly upgrade their own knowledge bases.
The focus of the computer-aided drafting and design program consists of CADD courses with a heavy emphasis on lab work giving you hands-on experience incorporating both individual and team based projects using the current release of AutoCAD (both 2D and 3D) and parametric design using Autodesk Inventor, ProE Wildfire, and/or SolidWorks software, which are all are used by many manufacturing firms in Kentucky and all over the world. Classes are also offered in Civil 3D, Revit, and AutoCAD Architecture which are used in many architectural and civil engineering firms.
Upon completion of the CADD program, students are prepared for entry-level positions as CADD technicians. Graduates of the program have been successfully placed in areas of Machine Tool, Computerized Manufacturing & Machining, Architectural, and Civil disciplines and many have advanced to project management positions.
Individuals planning careers in drafting should take courses in mathematics, science, computer technology, design, and computer graphics. Mechanical ability and visual aptitude are important. Prospective drafters should be able to draw well and perform detailed work accurately and neatly. Artistic ability is helpful in some specialized fields, as is knowledge of manufacturing and construction methods. In addition, prospective drafters should have good interpersonal skills because they work closely with engineers, surveyors, architects, and other professionals and, sometimes, with customers.
- The Computer Aided Drafting and Design Program of Bluegrass Community and Technical College is committed to providing the best possible technical education in construction and manufacturing drafting and design to the students of the Central Kentucky area. We strive to promote the professional advancement of all constituencies including outstanding students, the under-prepared student, minority students, and non-traditional students.
- The Computer Aided Drafting and Design program provides this education in two major ways. First, we are committed to providing instruction in the technical skills and general educational background needed by CADD technicians on the job. The second area is that of providing the latest training in new techniques and technology for currently employed technicians and professionals.
- The Computer Aided Drafting and Design Program is committed to continuous self-assessment and improvement. In order to provide the most relevant instruction we will maintain close working relationships with the construction and manufacturing industries in the Central Kentucky area. We solicit help and suggestions from as many segments of industry as possible so that our instruction reflects what the student will encounter in the work place. We also strive for flexibility in our course offerings. In order to meet the needs of employers and students we will teach wherever an appropriate educational setting can be found.
- The Computer Aided Drafting and Design Program is committed to matching our level of technology and instruction to that of the construction and manufacturing industries within the program resources.
- We recognize that we are an agent of change in the lives of our students. We recognize that our students are seeking improvement through our program and we will always uphold our responsibility to the student and to the employer of that student.
What are my Career Choices?
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
The catalog describes the course requirements for completing the credential. Students are required to schedule an appointment with their assigned academic advisor to ensure achievement of their academic goals.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.