Admissions Guidelines | BCTC

Admissions Guidelines

Ready, set, go!

Get started by submitting an application and some additional information.

What additional information will I need to submit?

Depending upon which type of student you are, you'll need to provide to the BCTC Office of Admissions different information.

Jump to a section:

 If you have questions about the admissions process, please give us a call at (855) 246-2477.

Beginning Freshmen

Beginning Freshmen (students who have never attended college before) need to provide:

  • Your official high school transcript or GED® test scores
  • Official scores from a placement test such as the ACT or SAT. If you scored below an 18 on the ACT in English, a 20 in reading, or a 19 in math, you'll need to take the Wonderlic test. Wonderlic is free for first-time takers.


Returning BCTC students who have sat out for at least one semester due to academic suspension must:

  • Provide Official transcripts of all college work attempted after they attended BCTC. Kentucky Community and Technical Colleges (KCTCS) official transcripts are not required, only official college or university transcripts outside of KCTCS.
  • Complete and return the Reinstatement Request Form sent by Office of Admissions. 
  • Review Academic Suspension Reinstatement Protocol for guidance. 
  • View BCTC course equivalencies at TES database for transfer work.

Transfer Students

Students who have started their college course work at another college or university need to provide:

  • Official transcripts of all previous college work. For the transcript to be official, coursework must be completed and not in progress on the transcript. Kentucky Community and Technical Colleges (KCTCS) official transcripts are not required, only official college or university transcripts outside of KCTCS. We accept official transcripts mailed directly to the college or hand-delivered. We also accept electronic transcripts through National Student Clearinghouse, eScrip-safe, and Credential Solutions.
    PDF copies emailed to a student or the college will not be accepted.

    Applicants who have previously attended an accredited college or university and who have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 on a 4.0 quality-point scale in all course work attempted are classified as transfer students. Applicants who were previously placed on academic probation at an accredited college or university may be admitted to Bluegrass on academic probation. To be admitted to Bluegrass, the applicant must be eligible to return to the previous institution without an interruption of one or more regular semesters.

    Faxed, photocopies, and scanned images of documents will not be accepted. Original documents must be provided to the Office of Admissions.

    Students wanting to view the established equivalencies for BCTC may go to the TES database.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students who just want to take one or two classes and are not pursuing a degree need to know the following information:

  • Students in non-degree seeking status are permitted to take only six credit hours per semester;
  • Non-degree students are not eligible to participate in federal student aid programs or to receive Veteran Educational Benefits;
  • Non-degree students who later decide to become degree-seeking must submit all required documents (official high school transcript or GED® scores, any college transcripts, and any necessary international student documents) before admission; and
  • Any student who wishes to take a course in either English or Math will be required to take the Wonderlic test or show evidence of successful completion of prerequisite college courses.

Visiting Students

Students currently enrolled at another institution wishing to take a course or two at BCTC need to provide:

  • A letter of good standing or an official transcript from the Registrar of the current institution which reflects the current cumulative grade point average (G.P.A.). Students who are currently taking classes at another KCTCS school are not required to submit a letter of good standing. Students in visiting status are permitted to take a maximum of six credit hours per semester. If a course requires a prerequisite, an unofficial transcript may be needed to show proof of completion.

Are there other requirements?

If you want to enter a technical program or other selective admissions programs, you may have a few more special requirements. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions a few months before you plan to begin your studies. Here is a list of frequently asked questions for students interested in the selective admissions program.

Admissions Application & Document Deadlines

Fall: Incoming Freshmen
Absolute Deadline: July 15th
International Absolute Deadline: June 1st

Fall: Transfer, Returning, and Non-Degree/Visiting
Absolute Deadline: August 1st
International Absolute Deadline: June 1st

Fall 12 Week Session
Absolute Deadline: September 1st

Absolute Deadline: December 1st
International Absolute Deadline: October 15th

Spring 12 Week Session
Absolute Deadline: February 1st

Summer I
Absolute Deadline: May 1st
International Absolute Deadline: May 1st (Visiting students ONLY)

Summer II
Absolute Deadline: June 1st
International Absolute Deadline: June 1st (Visiting students ONLY)