Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment
High school juniors and seniors may be enrolled in high school and at Bluegrass Community and Technical College (BCTC) concurrently. If they receive high school credit for the college courses, they are considered “dual credit”. If they received only college credit, they are considered “dual enrollment” (The high school will determine if high school credit will be provided for the college course). The KY Dual Credit Scholarship may cover the cost of some dual credit courses (Please refer to the KY Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) website provided on the main webpage for Opportunity College). Students are responsible for all costs related to tuition, books and fees for dual enrollment courses. Students must meet required ACT and/or Wonderlic scores, as well as prerequisites, in order to enroll in the college courses. Students are responsible for their own transportation for courses on BCTC campuses. Course schedules follow the college academic calendar and may require students to attend class on days when their high school is not in session.
Students who want to have their BCTC grades sent to the high school should submit a Permission to Disclose Grades form.
Below are some suggested courses in which students may enroll. (This is not an all-inclusive list). Each bold heading represents a general education area in which courses are required for a degree. The number of courses that a student must take in each of the general education areas is dependent upon the degree program they are seeking.
- ENG 101- Writing I (pre-requisite in an ACT English score of = or >18)
- ENG 102 Writing II (pre-requisite is ENG 101)
- MA 150 College Algebra (pre-requisite is 2 yrs. of high school algebra and an ACT math score of = or >21)
- MT 155 Trigonometry (pre-requisite is MA 108R or 2 yrs. of high school algebra)
- MA 113 Calculus I (pre-requisite is MA 109 and MA 112, or ACT math score of = or >26)
- PY 110 General Psychology (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- SOC 101 Intro to Sociology (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- COM 181 Basic Public Speaking (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- COM 252 Intro to Interpersonal Communication (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- CIT 105 Intro to Computing (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- CIS 100 Intro to Computers (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- HIS 108 History of US Through 1865 (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- HIS 109 History of US Since 1865 = or >18)
- PHI 120 Introductory Logic (pre-requisite is an ACT reading score of = or >18)
- CLA 101 and CLA 102 Elementary Latin
- FR 101 and FR 102 Elementary French
- GER 101 and GER 102 Basic German
- SPA 101 and SPA 102 Elementary Spanish I and II Spanish
- JPN 101 and JPN 102 Beginning Japanese I and II
- RAE 151 and RAE 152 Beginning Chinese I and II
- SED 101 and SED 102 - American Sign Language I and II
Please see Catalog for course descriptions.