How to Use the BCTC Proxy Server
BCTC library services uses a proxy server to allow students, staff, and faculty to access library databases when off campus. The library databases contain electronic versions of books, magazines and journals that may be useful to you for research. Most of our library databases are available off-campus, if accessed using the links on our library web pages or from within Primo. Click on a link to any BCTC proxy-accessible database, such as Academic Search Complete, Academic OneFile, JSTOR, ARTstor, and Ebook Central, from the main page of BCTC Library Services (Library) or from other places on the BCTC Library Services website, including the Find an Article web page.
When prompted for a login, input your KCTCS login and password into the boxes.
After you have successfully logged in, the database you are trying to access should appear, and you can begin searching for articles or books in the database.
Students Please Note: Your KCTCS Peoplesoft Email Account must be fully activated and you must be listed as a BCTC student, faculty, or staff in order for you to access the BCTC proxy server. If you are a new BCTC student, you will be able to access the proxy server via your username and password only after you activate your e-mail login and password information and as soon as your data has been uploaded into the Peoplesoft system. After you register as a BCTC student, use your Student ID number given to you at registration to activate your KCTCS Peoplesoft E-mail Account. Then, your information will be uploaded into BCTC's PeopleSoft system. Once you are fully in the system and the eproxy server has had a chance to update, you will be able to log into the BCTC proxy server and you will have access to library databases off-campus.
Dual-Enrolled Distance Education Students (taking a class at both BCTC and another college in the same semester)
If you are a dual-enrolled distance education student, you can use the BCTC proxy system to access BCTC databases. If need extra assistance logging in, please contact Maureen Cropper via the Ask a Librarian form.
Access for students using Blackboard
You can access BCTC proxied databases by visiting our BCTC Library Services home page at: https://bluegrass.kctcs.edu/library.aspx. The eLibrary tab in Blackboard can be used to take you to the library webpages, also. Click on the link to Bluegrass Community and Technical College within the Blackboard eLibrary site.
In addition, your instructor may have chosen to embed proxied direct links to articles or books for you to use in your Blackboard course.
Other questions about access? Please contact Maureen Cropper at 246-6394 or via the Ask a Librarian form.
Students Registered for BCTC Distance Education Classes via KYVC
If you are a KYVC distance education student, you can use the BCTC proxy system to access BCTC eresources only if you are also registered as a BCTC student and have activated your KCTCS email account. Please contact the BCTC Student Records Office with any questions about your BCTC registration status. If you have further questions, please contact BCTC Distance Learning.
1. You must be a current BCTC faculty, staff or student and have a valid, activated e-mail login and password to use the BCTC proxy server. If you are dual-enrolled here and at another institution, you will be able to access BCTC databases as well, if you are listed as a BCTC student.
2. You must have an Internet Service Provider (ISP), such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, and a computer with a modem or other appropriate hardware to access databases from home.
3. The BCTC proxy server works with most browsers. However, you may need to enable cookies on your browser for the proxy server site.
4. You will only be able to access off-campus those electronic resources that have been licensed by BCTC and approved for proxy access. Some resources subscribed to or purchased by BCTC library services may not be approved for proxy access and will only be accessible on the BCTC campuses, and some may be limited by other special ID and passwords. Check with the library if you need more information about whether a specific database is accessible from home or not.
5.The first time you try to access a BCTC proxy-restricted resource, you will see a login page, with boxes for you to enter your KCTCS login and password. For each browser session you will only be asked to enter your login and password that one time. Helpful hint: Use no extra spaces when entering your login and password information.
6. Need more help? Consult our troubleshooting information.