What is General Occupational/Technical Studies?
General Occupational/Technical Studies provides flexible alternatives for meeting your & your employer's needs.
This degree is for you if you have:
- Worked in an industry
- Taken related coursework in a specific field that isn't covered by an existing degree
This program serves two general purposes:
- Individualized program - A flexible curriculum designed to meet your specific needs
- Degree completion - A credit structure for prior learning in occupational/technical areas
For example, Automotive Technicians do a great deal of industry & web-based dealer training. They can take advantage of this degree by:
- Submitting a Credit for Prior Learning portfolio
- Completing technical and general academic credit classes at BCTC
- Earning the GOTS degree
Up to 20 hours of credit for experiential learning can apply to this degree.
Acceptable credit may also apply to your plan. Credit can come from KCTCS certificate & diploma or credit transferred from other colleges. You have to complete at least 25 percent of the approved curriculum credits at BCTC.
What are my career choices?
This program is for non-traditional students with prior work experience.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
A program plan describes the degree requirements (courses) and the sequence for completing the courses. Students are required to schedule an appointment with their assigned academic advisor to ensure achievement of their academic goals.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.