What is B-CELL?
The Bioscience Collaborative Educational Learning Laboratory (B-CELL) is a contract service organization (CSO) that provides BCTC students a direct link to start-up biotech companies.
As one of Central Kentucky’s largest providers of business and industry education
and training services, we are happy to announce the addition of our Biotechnology
and Life Science contract service organization, Bioscience Collaborative Educational
Laboratory (B-CELL). Led by Dr. Audrey Law, and our experienced staff, B-CELL is ready to assist you with your laboratory’s productivity.
BCTC is part of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. As such we have access to resources both locally and throughout the state to find training solutions your company needs. We can also help your company with funding assistance that can drastically reduce your costs through the KCTCS TRAINS program as well as through our partnership with the Kentucky Career Center. Now with the addition of B-CELL, we can assist with your laboratory’s needs, too. We can perform any number of routine lab tasks, from simple solution and buffer preparation, PCR, cell line maintenance, to DNA sequencing on our Illumina MiSeq DNA Sequencer.
B-CELL is an innovative model that not only supports bioscience companies, but provides internship opportunities for students. B-CELL leverages high-tech equipment from the biotech and chemistry programs to offer services, equipment usage, and lab bench space to local companies for a fee. In turn, the companies provide internships that give our students authentic hands-on work experience that often leads to employment with these companies.
BCTC CSO (Contract Service Organization) has most standard molecular biology equipment and instrumentation. This short list is intended to highlight some of the more high-end and specialized instrumentation available through the CSO.
- Laminar Flow Biosafety Type II Cabinets
- BioBundle ez-Control Cell Culture System
- Electroporation Unit
- Nikon Eclipse Inverted Scopes with Intensilight and Imaging System
- Direct-Heat CO2 Incubator
- Shaker Incubator, E25
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Beckman Coulter Table-Top Ultracentrifuge (Optima XP)
- BioRad Gel Doc XR+ System
- BioRad ChemiDoc Touch Imaging System
- Horizontal and Vertical Gel Rigs
- Agilent GC-MS
- Soxtherm Extraction System
- Illumina MiSeq System
- Agilent Bioanalyzer
- Agilent 5977E Gas Chromatograph/MSD System
- Illumina MiSeq DNA sequencer
- Life Technologies Quant Studio real-time PCR
- NanoDrop One Microvolume UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Nicolet iS5 FTIR Spectrometer with iD7 ATR Accessory FTIR
- Qubit II Fluorometer
- Thermo Scientific picoSpin 80 Series II NMR Spectrometer