What is Family Studies?
Acquaint yourself with the scientific study of the family!
You'll analyze contemporary family issues and write informed positions on those issues.
Family studies include:
- Theoretical frameworks in family science
- Historical trends in marriage & family life
- Gender Role Theory
- Family Life Theory
- Parenthood Communication
- Economics of family life
- Step-families and step-parenting
- Family strengths
- Pre-Major Family Science, University of Kentucky (AA) (new window)
- UK School of Human Environmental Science (new window)
- EKU Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (new window)
What are my Career Choices?
Employment in community and social service occupations is projected to grow 12 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations, adding about 346,900 jobs.
- Health Education Specialist
- Community Health Worker
- School Counselor
- Career Counselor
- Social and Human Service Assistant
What are my Degree, Diploma, or Certificate Options?
Introduces the scientific study of the family, including important theoretical frameworks in family science, historical trends in marriage and family life, gender role theory, family life theory, parenthood communication, economics of family life, conflict, divorce, step-families and step-parenting, and family strengths. Analyzes contemporary family issues and requires informed, written positions on those issues.
Prerequisite: 3 hours of social or behavioral science or consent of instructor.
Studies human sexuality, including the process of gender and attitudes, sexual response patterns, sexual behavior, and attitudes.
Prerequisite: 3 hours in social or behavioral science or consent of instructor.