International Students - Frequently Asked Questions | BCTC

International Students Frequently Asked Questions


As an F-1 student, am I allowed to work?

The U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services allows international students to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During vacations, students can work up to 40 hours per week. There are limited jobs available at BCTC and international students cannot expect to be guaranteed a campus job.

Does BCTC offer financial assistance for international students?

No, financial assistance is not available for international students.

How can I attend Bluegrass Community and Technical College?

You must contact the Admissions Office and apply. You must:

  • Meet the academic requirements for the college.
  • Be accepted.
  • Provide financial support documents.
  • Be issued an I-20 form, and;
  • Apply for the F-1 (DS 2019 for J-1) student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country.

How do I select my classes?

You will be able to register for classes only after completing the International Student Orientation as well as the BCTC orientation for beginning freshmen. Please refer to your acceptance letter for dates of the orientations. You will be assigned to an academic advisor who will then assist you with registration.

How much does it cost to attend Bluegrass Community and Technical College?

Please see the cost page.

What is a community college?

Community colleges offer fully accredited academic programs that prepare the student for access to upper division education at public and private universities. Community colleges also offer two year certificate programs that lead to employment.

What is the advantage for international students to attend a community college?

  • Easy, open admission policies.
  • Wide selection of academic programs.
  • Basic skill courses including ESL.
  • Supportive learning environment with small classes.
  • Low cost tuition.
  • Credits fully transferable to other colleges and universities.

What is the I-20 Form?

It is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form issued by the school. It states that a prospective international student has met the requirements for admission and has been accepted for a full course of study. The I-20 also indicates proof that the student meets the financial requirements. It does not guarantee a student will receive a visa or gain entrance to the U.S. However, it is needed to apply. If the visa is granted the I-20 is also needed to enter the U.S. at the port of entry.

When do I pay for my tuition?

If you have not already wired your funds to Bluegrass Community and Technical College before your arrival, you must pay your tuition by the end of the month (January for spring semester or August for fall semester).

Where will I live?

There are many apartments and living quarters within walking distance to the college. Also, students may use the bus system. Plan to arrive in plenty of time to find housing. You will be required to pay a deposit as well as the first month (and perhaps last months) rent.