7 Steps to Admissions at BCTC | BCTC

7 Steps to Admissions at BCTC for Student Veterans


We welcome military service members, veterans and their families. Here's how to apply to BCTC and start building a better future.

Earn a degree, diploma or certificate on campus or online, or prepare for a job in one of our Go to Work programs. We offer flexibility and support services to help you reach your goals while serving your country or after you've retired from active duty.

How to Apply

The application process is quick and simple, and we're here to help. Just follow these easy steps:

1. Apply to BCTC and Setup Your User Account

Start your application to BCTC online.

Once you've applied to BCTC you will receive a student ID number which you will need to create an online User Account. Select "Setup User Profile" and following the instructions. If you are applying as a "Visiting Student" please be sure to complete Step 7 to certify your classes and receive your benefits.

There is no application fee, but be aware of admission deadlines as you go through this process.

2. File for your GI Bill® Benefits

Visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)  to learn about the various GI Bill® Programs and which are best for you. Once you've decided, you can use the following links to apply for the different benefits:

IMPORTANT: The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs does take up to 6-8 weeks to process your application so be sure to fill it out as soon as possible.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

3. Submit Your Official Transcripts, Certificates

Submit your official high school transcripts or GED® certificate; ACT/SAT Scores and any/all official college transcripts to the Office of Admissions at the following address:

Bluegrass Community and Technical College
Office of Admissions
Newtown Campus
500 Newtown Pike
Lexington, KY 40508

  • If you have not taken the ACT/SAT, don't worry! BCTC is a mandatory placement school, meaning you'll just need to take the KYOTE test. After you're admitted to the college, we will give you information on how to sign up for the test and schedule your classes.
  • Your military experience may count for credit at BCTC. To find out if they do, go to the American Council on Education (ACE) website and find your services transcript site then have an official copy sent to the Office of Admissions.
  • Be sure to submit your Military Transfer Agreement immediately after you have requested your transcripts to the school certifying official.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at (859) 246-6210 or email bl_admissions@kctcs.edu.

4. Apply for Financial Aid

As part of the application process, you need to complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Check the deadlines for the FAFSA on their website. 

  • BCTC's School Code is 005244

5. Active Duty, Drilling Reservist, or National Guard

If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA). Visit the Military and Veteran Student Services website for further information. Many of these programs are time-sensitive so the earlier you get things done, the smoother your benefits will go. Keep in mind that schools and other programs have their own deadlines as well.

6. Schedule an Appointment with Advising & Assessment

Once you are admitted to the school, you will receive a letter of acceptance with all the information necessary to set up your orientation and advising session to schedule your classes for the semester and/or take the placement test. Visit the Advising and Assessment website for more information about scheduling and placement tests.

7. Contact the VA Certifying Official to Certify Your Classes so You Can Receive Your GI Bill® Benefits

  • The VA will send you your Certificate of Eligibility after you are approved to use your GI Bill®. As soon as you receive this, you can email to BL-Military@kctcs.edu or hand-deliver a copy of this document to the Military & Veteran Student Services Center located on the Leestown Campus.

  • As soon as you register for classes you must fill out a VA Schedule Information Card online in order to have your classes certified and in order to receive your benefits every semester. A schedule card must also be submitted any time you change your class schedule.

  • Your classes will only be certified if they directly apply to your degree program.

  • Your benefits will vary depending on the amount of hours you take. 12 credit hours are needed to receive full benefits during a normal 16-week semester. If you are unsure about the hours needed, contact the Military & Veteran Student Services Center.

Concurrent Admission

If you're planning to enlist in the Army, you may be eligible for the Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP), a program designed to help you apply to college and access your benefits. Be sure to select KCTCS as your home college when you enlist.

Questions? Contact us. We're here for you, every step of the way.