Advising-Steps and Resources | BCTC

Advising-Steps and Resources

  1. Submit transcripts and scores  
    To complete the Admissions process and in order to advise on appropriate classes, you will need to provide placement test scores and/or any completed college credit, including dual credit.

    We accept official transcripts mailed directly to the college or hand-delivered. We also accept electronic transcripts through National Student Clearinghouse, eScrip-safe, and Credential Solutions and high school transcripts through Parchment.

    Remember, we advise according to the information you provide the college.  Submit transfer work including dual credit, AP credit and/or placement test scores so we can advise you appropriately.   
  2. Participate in Mandatory Orientation
    First time freshmen, register online for the orientation. Transfer students may also participate and can register online. 
  3. Activate or Reset Your User ID and Password
    • On BCTC’s Current Students page, click on the User Account Center.
    • New students: Click on “Setup User Profile” then follow additional directions. (You will need your student ID number, which is the 9-digit number starting with 00 provided in your Admissions letter.)
    • After setting security questions/answers, you’ll see your assigned Username and create a password. Make a note of each of these!
    • Continuing or readmitting students:  To reset expired or forgotten KCTCS password, click on “Reset Password” then follow additional directions.
      If you have any problems, contact Tech Support at (859)246-4600 or email:

      Once activated, you can access: My Path, Student Service Center, and Blackboard (Online Learning).  All are accessible via the Current Students Page

  4. Is your major correct? Change your Major (if necessary!) - Your Financial Aid eligibility depends on it!

    Thinking of transferring? If you know you want to transfer to a university, it is typically in your best interest to choose either an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science.

    Interested in Health Care? Until you are admitted into one of the following selective admissions programs (Dental Hygiene, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Pharmacy Technology, Radiography, Respiratory Care, Surgical Technology) you MUST declare Associate in Science or Health Science Technology as your major for Financial Aid eligibility. (See instructions below)

    If your major is listed as “Undecided”, your classes will not be eligible for Financial Aid.  Need help selecting a major? Check the interest/job chart and career assessment available through Career Services.

    Thinking of technical training program for a career? Search for options in trades, specialized major areas within Associate in Applied Science degrees, etc. click here. 

    To change your major/program:
    • Login to your Student Self Service.
    • Select the Academic Records tile.
    • On the left-hand menu, select Change Major.
    • To choose your major, select the magnifying glass in the search bar to search all options.  If you need to select a program track or sub-plan, additional search bars will appear until you have selected the appropriate major.
    • Be sure to submit the form using the green submit button at the bottom of the screen.
  5. Paying for College
  6. Find your resources and USE THEM!
    Academic Calendars - Important dates, deadlines and when you have breaks.
    Bookstore- For books and supplies. 
    BLACKBOARD -Demonstration on using Blackboard and resources for assistance
    KCTCS Catalog - Information on the KCTCS colleges, programs offered and course descriptions
    Student Services: Accessibility Services, Personal Counseling, Career Services, First Year Center, HEART of BCTC, LGBTQ, Veterans, TRIO Student Support
    Transfer Center - To help prepare for transfer to a 4-year institution after BCTC.
    Tutoring- Get the help you need to assist with homework, writing papers and preparing for tests.

Many other resources can be found through the Current Students page.